Information about financial aid sources outside of WSU for international and Canadian students is available at:
- www.edupass.org - SmartStudent Guide to Studying in the USA
- www.iefa.org - International Education Financial Aid
- www.canlearn.ca - CanLearn Student Financial Assistance for Canadian citizens
- studentaid.gov - Information from the US Department of Education
Wayne State University Scholarships
You must be a citizen of the United States or have lawful permanent resident status to receive federal financial aid and scholarships offered through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The standard documentation for a permanent resident of the United States is the Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551, since 1997) or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551, before 1997).
You are not eligible for financial aid if:
- You have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-717 or I-464)
- You are in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa only
- You are in the United States on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only
More information about aid for foreign students:
Wayne State University Schools, Colleges & Departments
There are scholarships and fellowships awarded through some university schools, colleges and departments that do not include citizenship or permanent resident status as a criterion. In addition, we encourage you to explore the external scholarship listings on these websites.
Tuition Waiver of Eligibility
A, E, G, H, I, L, R and TN visa holders, (and military service personnel on active duty in Michigan and their spouses and dependent children) are eligible for waiver of the non-resident portion of assessed tuition. Each term before the end of the first week of classes eligible students must submit an application and documentation of their tuition waiver-eligible status to Registration and Scheduling.
Please direct questions concerning tuition waiver eligibility to Registration and Scheduling, (313) 577-3541.
Ontario, Canada "Good Neighbor" Program
Under the Wayne State University "Good Neighbor" program, residents of Ontario, Canada, who enroll in WSU academic programs, excluding the MD program and new admits to the doctoral Pharmacy program, will have the non-resident portion of fees waived.
Please direct questions concerning the WSU "Good Neighbor" program to 1-877-WSU-INFO [1-877-978-4636].